He retained his title on January 25, 2009 against Donald Cerrone at WEC 38. The fight was highly competitive and won fight of the night honors. However, the fight was stopped prematurely in the fifth round when Cerrone hit Varner's temple with an illegal knee while Varner was still on the ground. Varner was given time to recover, but he was unable to continue, noting that he had double vision and had sustained a broken hand.
The controversial nature of the stoppage, and many fans in the MMA communities disapproval of the result to a good fight, has tarnished Varner's once impeccable reputation as a tough fighter. The months following have led to potential rematch opportunities which have not occurred. Amidst speculation that Varner was avoiding the fight, and exaggerating an array of injuries that proceed the Cerrone match. This, and Varner's subsequent inability to perform since the Cerrone fight (despite Cerrone's ability to do the contrary) has led the WEC to set up an interim title bout between Cerrone and Henderson. Henderson defeated Cerrone via unanimous decision to win the WEC Interim Lightweight Championship.
Jamie Varner was defeated by fighter Ben Henderson with a guillotine choke (although he claimes he was ahead in the fight till then) on January 10, 2010 at WEC 46 to unify the WEC Lightweight Championship.
Varner was expected to face Kamal Shalorus on April 24, 2010 at WEC 48, but that bout has been called off due to an injury sustained by Shalorus. Varner is now likely to compete at WEC 49 on June 20, 2010.
He is an alumnus of Deer Valley High School in Glendale, Arizona, where he also was a part of the Deer Valley Skyhawk Wrestling Team. He attended Lock Haven University where he joined the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity (he is not listed in the PI registry, if he joined it was after college) and spent his time at that school training both as a wrestler and a boxer, where he was NCBA (National Collegiate Boxing Association) Champion for the nationally recognized Lock Haven University boxing team.
Varner was instrumental in the legalization and forthcoming athletic sanctioning of mixed martial arts in the state of Arizona after giving testimony to the sport's legitimacy and ongoing development as an athletic profession. Template:-
Mixed Martial Arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|24||16 wins||3 losses|
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ Henderson Conquers Varner for Title. www.wec.tv. Retrieved on 2010-01-11.
- ↑ Jamie Varner vs. Kamal Shalorus likely for WEC 48 PPV main card. mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. Retrieved on 2010-02-22.
- ↑ Kamal Shalorus Off WEC 48, Jamie Varner Likely to Return in June. mmamania.com (2010-03-03).
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/20090302091435/www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8051&zoneid=13
- http://www.mmajacked.com/jamievarner MMAJacked Prosite
- http://www.jamievarner.com Official Site
- http://www.mtxaudio.com/mma/view_bio.aspx?u=17 Bio at MTX MMA Website