Jason William Dent (born June 12, 1980) is an American mixed martial arts fighter. The Lightweight competitor has held several regional championships, most recently he won the IFBL Welterweight Championship. He runs the Griffonrawl MMA Academy in Mentor, Ohio, and hosts an MMA oriented radio talk show on WWGK Radio (AM 1540 KNR2) in Cleveland. and was a competitor on SpikeTV's The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Dent made his professional MMA debut at Extreme Combat Challenge's Assault event on May 31, 2003, where he defeated Tim Newland with a triangle choke. He won his first professional championship a few months later at Next Level Fighting's first event on September 13, 2003. Once again, using a triangle choke, Dent defeated Nick Spencer for the NLF Lightweight Championship.
He fought in a number of other local events and was eventually offered a chance to fight in a UFC match. In his UFC debut at UFC 63, Dent lost by unanimous decision to Roger Huerta. He was given second chance with a match against Gleison Tibau at UFC 68 which he lost by unanimous decision. Having lost both matches, Dent was cut from the UFC roster.
Dent went back to the local MMA circuit and won five of his next six fights winning three championships along the way. He tried out for The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom and was accepted. In the preliminary elimination round, he defeated Robert Browning, securing himself a spot in The Ultimate Fighter house. In episode eight, Dent defeated Team UK lightweight Jeff Lawson by Anaconda Choke in the second round, earning him a spot in the semi-finals. Dent lost by decision in the semi finals to Ross Pearson.
Dent won his post TUF fight against Cameron Dollar by submission due to anaconda choke in the 1st round. The fight was at the TUF 9 Finale, Dent was even awarded Submission of the Night for the choke.
Dent faced George Sotiropoulos on November 21, 2009 at UFC 106. Dent fought George on the Prelim card, the fight started off with an exchange where both fighters were engaging but after some time George took down Jason and controlled him on the ground with his high-paced style for the duration of round 1. At the start of round 2, Dent once again got taken down and George were working for a kimura but were unable to lock it in, still holding Dent's arm he instead went for the armbar submission which finished the fight in the 2nd round.
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|34||19 wins||10 losses|
|Loss||19–10||George Sotiropoulos||Submission (Armbar)||UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin 2||November 21, 2009||2||4:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, US|
|Win||19–9||Cameron Dollar||Submission (Anaconda Choke)||UFC: The Ultimate Finale 9||June 20, 2009||1||4:46||Las Vegas, Nevada, US||Won Submission of the Night Honors|
|Win||18–9||Matt Shaw||Submission||IFBL: Fight Night 13||September 20, 2008||2||3:41||Niles, Ohio, US||For IFBL Welterweight Championship|
|Win||17–9||Nick Sorg||Submission (Armbar)||GFS: Fight Nite in the Flats IV||June 7, 2008||2||4:33||Cleveland, Ohio, US|
|Win||16–9||Harris Sarmiento||Submission (Anaconda Choke)||IFBL: Fight Night 10||December 15, 2007||5||1:49||Niles, Ohio, US||For IFBL Lightweight Championship|
|Loss||15–9||Torrance Taylor||Decision (Split)||NAAFS: Caged Fury 3||November 3, 2007||3||Cleveland, Ohio, US||For the NAAFS Lightweight Championship|
|Win||15–8||Luke Spencer||TKO||Superior Fight Night 3||July 21, 2007||2||2:55||Cleveland Ohio, US|
|Win||14–8||Mike Bogner||Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke)||GFS: Fight Nite in the Flats III||June 9, 2007||1||Cleveland, Ohio, US|
|Loss||13–8||Gleison Tibau||Decision (Unanimous)||UFC 68: Uprising||March 3, 2007||3||5:00||Columbus, Ohio, US|
|Loss||13–7||Roger Huerta||Decision (Unanimous)||UFC 63: Hughes vs. Penn||September 23, 2006||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, US||UFC Debut|
|Win||13–6||Kolo Koka||Submission (Armbar)||Icon Sport: Mayhem vs Lawler||September 2, 2006||3||1:07||Honolulu, Hawaii, US|
|Win||12–6||Luke Spencer||Submission (Triangle Choke)||GFS: Fight Nite in the Flats 2||June 10, 2006||3||Cleveland, Ohio, US|
|Win||11–6||Joe Voisin||Submission (Guillotine Choke)||KOTC: Drop Zone||March 18, 2006||1||4:50||Michigan, US|
|Win||10–6||Clint Zeedyk||TKO||GFS: Caged Vengeance||February 18, 2006||2||1:40||Cleveland, Ohio, US|
|Loss||9–6||Brandon Garner||Submission (Armbar)||KOTC: Shock and Awe||October 1, 2005||1||2:49||Alberta, Canada|
|Win||9–5||Josh Souder||TKO (Cut)||GFS: Fight Nite in the Flats||September 17, 2005||1||1:57||Cleveland, Ohio, US|
|Win||8–5||Primo Luciano||KO||Extreme Fighting Challenge 11||March 5, 2005||1||Columbus, Ohio, US||Defending the EFC Lightweight Championship|
|Loss||7–5||Paulo Dantas||Decision (Split)||KOTC: Payback||February 25, 2005||2||5:00||Cleveland, Ohio, US|
|Win||7–4||Joe Voisin||Submission (Triangle Choke)||ECC: Muncie||December 18, 2004||2||1:17||Muncie, Indiana, US|
|Loss||6–4||Jeff Curran||Decision (Unanimous)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 3||October 2, 2004||3||5:00||McHenry, Illinois, US|
|Loss||6–3||Ryan Schultz||TKO (Punches)||APEX: Genesis||September 5, 2004||1||2:00||Quebec, Canada|
|Win||6–2||Tom Kirk||Submission (Triangle Choke)||ECC: Brawl at the Hall||June 26, 2004||3||2:43||Muncie, Indiana, US|
|Win||5–2||DeAngelo Nichols||Submission (Strikes)||Northern Kentucky FC||May 29, 2004||1||Covington, Kentucky, US|
|Loss||4–2||Tetsuji Kato||Decision (Unanimous)||SuperBrawl 35||April 16, 2004||3||5:00||Honolulu, Hawaii, US|
|Win||4–1||Matt Brady||Submission (Armbar)||KOTC 34: Ohio||February 28, 2004||1||Canton, Ohio, US|
|Win||3–1||Davy Gibson||Submission (Armbar)||Extreme Combat Challenge||February 7, 2004||1||Anderson, Indiana, US|
|Win||2–1||Nick Spencer||Submission (Triangle Choke)||Next Level Fighting||September 13, 2003||3||2:20||Steubenville, Ohio, US||For Next Level Fighting Lightweight Championship|
|Loss||1–1||Antoine Skinner||Decision (Unanimous)||ECC: Mayhem in Muncie||August 23, 2003||N/A||Muncie, Indiana, US|
|Win||1–0||Tim Newland||Submission (Triangle Choke)||ECC: Assault||May 31, 2003||3||Anderson, Indiana, US|
- ↑ Jason "Dynamite" Dent. Griffonrawl MMA Academy. Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 IFBL Fight Night 13 Official Results. MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Spike TV Profile. Spike TV. Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Next Level Fighting 1. Griffon Rawl MMA Academy. Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ Jason Dent gets second UFC shot on 'TUF 9'. MMAFighting.com (February 27, 2009). Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ UFC 106 Jason Dent vs George Sotiropoulos: Dent vs Sotiropoulos UFC 106. Profighting-fans.com. Retrieved on 2009-09-16.
- ↑ http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Denis-Kang,-Jason-Dent-and-Roli-Delgado-cut-by-the-UFC.html. FiveKnuckles.com. Retrieved on December 29, 2009.
- ↑ Matt Shaw. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ http://www.mmaplayground.com/mma-videos/video/my-good-buddy-nick-sorg-vs-torrance-taylor-3354.html
- ↑ Harris Sarmiento. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ International Fighting & Boxing League: Fight Night 10 Official Results. MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ Torrance Taylor. MMAUniverse.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Caged Fury 3 Updated Fight Card. MMARingReport.com (October 5, 2007). Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Luke Spencer. MMAUniverse.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Mike Bogner. MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Kolo Koka. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Joe Voisin. MMAUniverse.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Brandon Garner. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Josh Souder. MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Primo Luciano Bio. PrimoLuciano.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Kalikas, Greg (March 13, 2005). Extreme Fighting Challenge 11. Iron Life Magazine. Retrieved on May 6, 2009.
- ↑ Paulo Dantas. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Tom Kirk. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Nick Spencer. MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Antoine Skinner. Sherdog.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- ↑ Tim Newland. MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.