Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Nover was born and raised in Brooklyn. He was born into a Filipino and American family. He trained with Sifu Ralph Mitchell at Universal Defense Systems which covers Filipino Arnis (similar to Filipino Kali/Eskrima), Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, Kung-Fu, Judo, Jeet Kun Do and Savate. He attended Kingsborough Community College and works at Coney Island Hospital as a registered nurse in the ER. Phillipe is currently pursuing graduate studies at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He began training in martial arts at age ten and attended Leon Goldstein High School. Nover holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Alexander "Soca" Freitas and fights out of Team Insight. He has been fighting Pro MMA since 2003.
Phillipe normally fought as a welterweight but since The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir only had an opening for lightweights and light-heavyweights he had to cut weight to be able to participate. Dana White called him "Fainting Phillipe" because he had fainted when White was announcing the coaches. In the preliminary round, Phillipe defeated Joe Duarte with a rear naked choke in the second round. On episode 8, Nover defeated Dave Kaplan with again another rear naked choke then proclaimed himself as the toughest registered nurse on the planet. In the same episode Dana White mentions that Nover reminds him of a young Georges St. Pierre. Phillipe defeated George Roop in the semi-finals via a Kimura lock. Phillipe lost in the Ultimate Finale on December 13, 2008 to Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision.
Phillipe Nover fought Kyle Bradley at UFC 98, losing by a controversial TKO at 1:03 of the first round. After taking down Nover, Bradley landed some heavy punches on his prone opponent. Nover was pulling guard ready to defend, however Referee Yves Lavigne stopped the fight.
Phillipe Nover was set to fight Sam Stout at Ultimate Fight Night 19, replacing the injured Kyle Bradley. On September 16, 2009, the day of the fight, Nover had a syncopal episode. As a result, the match with Stout was canceled.
Nover then faced a fellow Ultimate Fighter alumni Rob Emerson at UFC 109 on February 6, 2010. Nover lost a controversial unanimous decision, bringing his UFC record to 0-3 which resulted in his release from the promotion.
After the release, Nover plans on joining the Bellator Fighting Championships lightweight tournament.
Before his fight with Efrain Escudero, Phillipe was awarded a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by Alexandre "Soca" Freitas on Dec. 6, 2008. The ceremony took place at the Soca Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in New York. Phillipe has been studying BJJ for the past eight years.
Professional MMA RecordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|11||5 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||Rob Emerson||Decision (Unanimous)||UFC 109: Relentless||February 6, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||Kyle Bradley||TKO (Punches)||UFC 98: Evans vs Machida||May 23, 2009||1||1:03||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||Efrain Escudero||Decision (Unanimous)||The Ultimate Finale 8||December 13, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost The Ultimate Fighter 8: Lightweight Division|
|Win||Jay Coleman||Submission (Kimura)||Ring of Combat 13||March 16, 2007||1||3:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||Abner Lloveras||Decision (Majority)||Ring of Combat 12||November 17, 2006||2||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||Dave Drago||Submission (Rear Naked Choke)||Ring of Combat 11||August 18, 2006||1||1:58||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||Michael McQuade||KO (Punches)||Ring of Combat 9||October 29, 2005||1||0:16||Asbury Park, New Jersey, United States|
|Draw||Jason Dublin||Draw||CZ 7: Gravel Pit||July 10, 2004||2||5:00||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||Ronald Stalling||Submission (Guillotine)||Reality Fighting 4||July 7, 2003||1||0:43||Bayonne, New Jersey, United States|
- ↑ Kali (martial art)
- ↑ Phillipe Nover Earns Black Belt from Alexandre “Soca” Freitas. TheUFCResults.com (December 8th, 2008). Retrieved on 2009-01-28.
- ↑ Nover, Phillipe (November 22, 2008). Phillipe Nover. PhillipeNover.com. Retrieved on 2009-01-28.
- ↑ Wong, Selina (2008-09-17). TUF Questions: Phillipe Nover. Fighters.com. Retrieved on 2009-01-28.
- ↑ Morgan, John (2008-11-05). Episode No. 8 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-20. Retrieved on 2009-01-28.
- ↑ Phillipe Nover Returns Against Rob Emerson at UFC 109 in February. mmafrenzy.com (October 29th, 2009). Retrieved on 2009-10-29.
- ↑ "UFC 98 RESULTS AND PLAY-BY-PLAY & PHOTOS. MMAWeekly.com (May 23rd, 2009). Archived from the original on 2009-05-27. Retrieved on 2009-05-23.
- ↑ Csonka, Larry (September 16, 2009). Phillipe Nover vs. Sam Stout Off Of UFC Fight Night 19. 411mania.com. Retrieved on September 16, 2009.
- ↑ Template:Cite news
- ↑ Template:Cite news
- ↑ "TUF8" finalist Phillipe Nover awarded Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. MMAjunkie.com (2008-12-08). Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved on 2009-01-28.