In 2000, after 10 years' experience in martial arts, she decided to train in MMA as a way of proving to herself that what she had learned was applicable to real life.
Despite having completed a 1st Class Mathematics degree at Cambridge University and a PhD in Theoretical Computer Science at Manchester University, Sexton decided to become a full-time mixed martial artist. She is also finishing up a degree in osteopathy while pursuing her mixed martial arts career.
Sexton made her mixed martial arts debut on May 11, 2002. She won her first five fights before moving up in weight to face Gina Carano on September 15, 2006. Sexton was defeated by knockout late in the second round.
On February 17, 2007, Sexton faced Japanese striker "Windy" Tomomi Sunaba at a BodogFight event in Costa Rica. Sexton won the fight by Technical Decision in the second round after Sunaba suffered a serious ankle injury.
Sexton fought once more for BodogFight and submitted Julia Berezikova on August 24, 2007.
Sexton signed an exclusive three-fight contract with Elite XC in June 2008. She faced Debi Purcell at the August 15, 2008 ShoXC event in Friant, California and defeated Purcell by Split Decision.
Sexton has one son.
|Professional record breakdown|
|16||10 wins||1 loss|
|Win||Valerie Coolbaugh||Submission (Armbar)||Bellator 12||6/19/2009||1||3:40|
|Win||Debi Purcell||Decision (Split)||ShoXC: Suganuma vs. Hamman II||8/15/2008||3||5:00|
|Win||Julia Berezikova||Submission (Armbar)||BodogFight - Vancouver||8/24/2007||2||1:49|
|Win||Tomomi Sunaba||Technical Decision (Unanimous)||BodogFight - Costa Rica||2/17/2007||2||1:05|
|Win||Carina Damm||Submission (Armbar)||BodogFight - St. Petersburg||12/16/2006||1||4:15|
|Loss||Gina Carano||KO (Punch)||World Pro Fighting Championships||9/15/2006||2||4:55|
|Win||Dina Van den Hooven||TKO (Corner Stoppage)||CWFC - Strike Force 4||11/26/2005||3||5:00|
|Win||Kelli Salone||Submission (Armbar)||P & G 1 - Pride and Glory 1||2/1/2004||1||3:45|
|Win||Carla O'Sullivan||Submission (Rear Naked Choke)||CWFC 3 - Cage Warriors 3||3/16/2003||1||N/A|
|Win||Serena Saunders||Submission (Armbar)||CWFC 1 - Armaggeddon||7/27/2002||1||0:40|
|Win||Angela Boyce||Submission (Armbar)||G & S 5 - Grapple & Strike 5||5/11/2002||3||N/A|
- Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
- Purple belt in Jiu Jitsu
- Cage Warriors Women's Champion
- BodogFight Women's 125 lb Champion
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Koubousen Companion: Japan News. Sherdog.com (2007-05-24). Retrieved on 2010-03-16.
- ↑ Unified Women's Mixed Martial Arts Rankings. MMARising.com. Retrieved on February 15, 2010.
- ↑ Unified Women's Rankings. FighterGirls.com. Retrieved on February 15, 2010.
- ↑ Exclusive: One-on-one with Rosi Sexton, PhD (Part I). FIGHTTICKER.com (2008-08-28). Retrieved on 2009-08-06.
- ↑ BRITISH FIGHTER ROSI SEXTON SIGNS WITH ELITE XC. MMAWEEKLY.com (2008-06-15). Archived from the original on 2008-06-18. Retrieved on 2008-08-18.
- ↑ Hamman Exacts ShoXC Revenge. Sherdog.com (2008-08-16). Retrieved on 2010-03-16.
- ↑ Bellator Crowns Alvarez, Lombard. Sherdog.com (2009-06-20). Retrieved on 2010-03-16.
- ↑ The fight of her life. guardian.co.uk, by Andy Darling (2007-09-05). Retrieved on 2008-08-18.
- ↑ Rosi Sexton (2007-08-01). Retrieved on 2008-08-19.
- BBC Interview, February 2003
- PhD Pharma Whey
- PhD Supplements sponsorship
- Guardian interview, September 2007
- MMA Weekly news item, June 2008