UFC 16: Battle in the Bayou was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on March 13, 1998 in New Orleans, Louisiana. The event was seen live on pay per view in the United States, and later released on home video.
UFC 16 featured the first ever UFC Lightweight tournament (for fighters under 170lbs), as well as a Middleweight Championship bout, a Heavyweight and a Middleweight Superfight, and two alternate bouts in case of tournament injury.
The Middleweight Championship bout, was billed to be champion Frank Shamrock's biggest test, in Battlecade star, Igor Zinoviev. This wound up being the final match of Zinoviev's career, as he suffered a career-ending collarbone injury from Shamrock's victorious KO slam.
Lightweight Tournament Edit
Alternate bouts Edit
- Brennan wins by submission (armbar) at 1:20.
- Clark wins by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 1:15.
- Alternate fights not shown on video
Lightweight semifinals Edit
- Burnett wins by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 9:46.
- Miletich wins by split decision at 15:00.
Lightweight finals Edit
- Miletich wins the first UFC Lightweight Tournament by submission (choke) at 9:01. (Mikey Burnett withdrew from the tournament due to a broken finger and was replaced by Brennan.)
Lightweight tournament bracket Edit
- Bohlander wins by submission (armbar) at 10:21.
- Kosaka wins by unanimous decision at 15:00.
Middleweight Championship bout Edit
- Shamrock wins by KO (slam) at 0:22.