UFC 17: Redemption was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on May 15, 1998 at the Mobile Civic Center, in Mobile, Alabama. The event was seen live on pay per view in the United States, and later released on home video.
The event featured a four man Middleweight tournament, three Heavyweight Superfights, an alternate bout in case of tournament injury, and a Heavyweight "exhibition" bout. A Middleweight Championship bout between Frank Shamrock and Jeremy Horn was also taped for broadcast on a later pay per view.
UFC 17 was the last UFC event aside from UFC 23, to feature the "tournament" style format.
UFC 17 featured the first UFC appearance of both Dan Henderson and Carlos Newton, as well as the first MMA fight for Chuck Liddell as an alternate in the middleweight tournament whose fight was not televised.
The title Redemption refers to Mark Coleman's return after losing the UFC Heavyweight Title to Maurice Smith at UFC 14. Coleman was originally slated to face then UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture, who had to withrdraw due to an injury. Both Coleman and Couture would go on to fight, twelve years later, at UFC 109. Last minute replacement Pete Williams, a Lion's Den fighter, took Couture's place against Coleman.
Heavyweight exhibition bout Edit
- Roberts wins by unanimous decision at 15:00.
Middleweight tournament Edit
- Liddell wins a unanimous decision at 12:00.
- Henderson wins by unanimous decision at 15:00.
- Newton wins by submission (Triangle choke) at 0:52.
- Henderson wins the UFC 17 Middleweight Tournament by split decision at 15:00.
- Van Arsdale wins by submission (keylock) at 11:01.
- Abbott wins by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 0:44.
- Williams wins by KO (kick) at 12:38.
Middleweight Championship title bout Edit
- Shamrock wins by submission (kneebar) 16:30.
Middleweight Tournament Bracket Edit