Template:Infobox MMA event UFC 79: Nemesis was a mixed martial arts (MMA) event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), that took place on December 29, 2007 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The main events featured the long anticipated fight between Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, as well as the highly anticipated rubber match between former UFC Welterweight Champions Georges St-Pierre and Matt Hughes.
The main event was originally to pit The Ultimate Fighter 6 coaches Matt Serra and Matt Hughes for Serra's UFC Welterweight Championship, which Serra won at UFC 69: Shootout on April 7, 2007 in an upset victory over Georges St-Pierre. Serra, however, withdrew from the fight due to a back injury, and was replaced by St-Pierre.
- Bocek wins via unanimous decision. All judges scored the bout 29-28. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Carneiro wins via TKO (strikes) at 3:30 of round two. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Lister wins via unanimous decision. All judges scored the bout 30-27. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Gamburyan wins via submission (achillies lock) at 1:31 of round one. This bout was aired at the end of the broadcast.
- Irvin wins via disqualification (illegal knee) at 1:51 of round one. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Clementi wins via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:40 of round one.
- Machida wins via submission (arm triangle) at 4:20 of round two.
- Sanchez wins via TKO (strikes) at 3:24 of round three.
- Liddell wins via unanimous decision. The judges scored the bout 29-28, 30-27, and 30-27.
- St-Pierre wins via submission (armbar) at 4:52 of round two to become the Interim UFC Welterweight Champion.
The disclosed fighter payroll for UFC 79 was $1,199,000. The figures do not include sponsor payments, fees, taxes, or special award bonuses
Georges St-Pierre def. Matt Hughes
- St-Pierre - $160,000
- Hughes - $100,000
Chuck Liddell def. Wanderlei Silva
- Liddell - $500,000
- Silva - $150,000
Eddie Sanchez def. Soa Palelei
- Sanchez - $46,000
- Palelei - $5,000
Lyoto Machida def. Sokoudjou
- Machida - $60,000
- Sokoudjou - $40,000
Rich Clementi def. Melvin Guillard
- Clementi - $28,000
- Guillard - $10,000
James Irvin def. Luiz Arthur Cane
- Irvin - $16,000
- Cane - $5,000
Manny Gamburyan def. Nate Mohr
- Gamburyan - $20,000
- Mohr - $6,000
Dean Lister def. Jordan Radev
- Lister - $22,000
- Radev - $5,000
Roan Carneiro def. Tony DeSouza
- Carneiro - $10,000
- DeSouza - $7,000
Mark Bocek def. Doug Evans
- Bocek - $6,000
- Evans - $3,000
At the end of this event, $50,000 was awarded to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards.
- Submission of the Night: Georges St-Pierre
- Knockout of the Night: Eddie Sanchez
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 UFC 79: Nemesis features Serra vs Hughes on December 29th. UFC.com (October 17, 2007). Retrieved on 2007-10-17.
- ↑ Finally, Two Legends Meet. ufc.com (October 24, 2007). Retrieved on 2007-10-24.
- ↑ BREAKING NEWS: Matt Fighting Georges St. Pierre at UFC 79!. ufc.com (November 24, 2007). Retrieved on 2007-11-24.
- ↑ Gerbasi, Thomas (November 15, 2007). UFC Inks Sokoudjou; “The African Assassin” to Debut vs Machida at UFC 79. ufc.com. Retrieved on 2007-11-15.
- ↑ Serra Injured, Withdraws From UFC 79 Card. ufc.com (November 22, 2007). Retrieved on 2007-11-22.
- ↑ Template:Cite news
- ↑ Stupp, Dan (December 30, 2007). UFC Issues $200,000 in UFC 79 Bonuses. mmajunkie.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-30.